8.06.2013

in the kitchen

This past week or so, I've been coming up with some delicious things in the kitchen, sometimes with the help seen above. I've made this cake twice within the past four days - the first time because I was hungry for cake, and the second as a little thank-you to our neighbours for letting us borrow their hedge trimmer. I had to take it over immediately after I glazed it so it would survive.
The recipe is from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook, which I highly recommend. She has a very similar recipe posted here; you could just sub in any citrus. The second one I made was lemon, actually, since I'd used our last grapefruit in the first one!
I made another recipe from the book yesterday, for the Buttered Popcorn Cookies, and they are delicious. They're similar to Subway's white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies in texture, but better in flavour (yay, butter!), less of that unpleasant grease, and with popcorn! Joy the Baker's version, with chocolate chips, is here. I took a few along with me to visit a friend yesterday, and they were a hit. (I highly recommend taking cookies when and whereever you visit.) I managed to snap a quick picture of them on her plate before they were devoured.


One of the many lovely things about summer in Nova Scotia is that it seldom gets too hot to turn on the oven. On with the baking!

Happy Tuesday! I hope you enjoy something delicious today.


1 comment:

  1. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S I enjoyed your pictures and honestly, I'm craving right now. It's good to have a home made recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!