8.11.2013

in the garden

The garden is in full swing, and although several things that were planted didn't come up (apparently many others had the same issues, possibly because we had several crazy rain storms right in the middle of planting) there's still lots going on.

I must say, though, that my heart is really focused on next year's garden, and the many future gardens to come, on our new property. We're making plans. It's so exciting! We bought a few fruit trees this week (half price!) to plant - three plums and a cherry (the cherry was Phillip's request). They say that the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, and the second best is now, so we're on the right track.

And Ruth Stout and her no-work gardening system is how we're planning to go. I highly recommend watching this video, which I think is from the early 60's. She is quite a character, and I love her method! We've got access to spoiled hay, and can get things going this fall in preparation for next year. I love learning new things, and this is fascinating.
In the meantime, though, we've been working away (well, mostly Adam has) on our current house, taking care of little things that needed doing. Not long after I took the picture above, along came Thomas and took a bite out of that little cucumber, still on the vine. That boy would subsist on raw vegetables if we let him, and happily.
The peas are done now; this was one last straggler that hung on until the end. I could live on peas. They're absolutely my number one favourite fresh vegetable, hands down.




I've never managed to take a great picture of one of the things I love in this yard. It's a rambling rose that climbs a cedar tree, and is inconspicuous until the end of July when bam! all of the roses open and it's just lovely.

Well, the boys are still asleep after a busy day yesterday, and I think I'll sneak out for a little run before they wake up. Happy Sunday - hope you have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That looks just so lovely and lush, the cucumber especially! I can't wait to see what you do with your new garden next year. Must be so exciting to plan it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I just love it all! And that rose!!! Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!