7.16.2013

house news


I have the very best kind of news to share - we have found our forever home! And it's ours! There it is above, as seen from the back field. Our current house hasn't sold yet (feel free to buy it!) but we have the most perfect place for us. An old farmhouse, with two big new barns (hello, chickens!) on 40 acres, including fields, woods, and a camp on the lake. I know. The house needs a lot of work, so we're not really sure of timelines for moving or anything, but it's ours! Here are a few pictures I took this morning.


The lake, perhaps my favourite feature. Above, looking North from in front of the camp.


And looking South. Isn't it lovely?



And here's the 'before' shot of the camp, as it was early this morning when I arrived to clean up, whipper snip, and generally make it fit to be in. It will be properly Sherrie-fied over time, but I kind of love its rustic-ness. That's the whole point of a camp, really. It's now a lot tidier, and after round two tomorrow morning, will almost be inhabitable. Any suggestions or ideas for an extremely rustic camp with very limited space, an outhouse and no electricity? Camping tips? Must-have gadgets? Outhouse maintenance? This is all quite new to me. I'm so excited that we have the camp to use this summer. The boys will love it. They haven't been there yet - I can't wait to see their faces.

We're soon going to need a name for this little farm... there's skunk cabbage in the woods, but that doesn't make for a very pretty name. We'll come up with something wonderful.

13 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congratulations, it looks lovely. So exciting for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely floored at how perfect it all is. I am so very happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Sherrie - it looks amazing! I'm sure you guys will be very happy there - what little boys wouldn't love that! Can't wait to see more pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! That's awesome! Congratulations! A entire lake and a cabin and 40 acres and barns and a farmhouse, it doesn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol S-B7/17/2013

    Thrilled for you. Totally thrilled.
    Our place out at Drumheller is... rustic, too (Red Deer River).
    Things I cannot live without:
    Candle lamps. Lots of them. I use jars a lot for this. I leave one in the outhouse all night, with a tea candle in it. Of course, it only burns for ~ 4 hours, but if you have a nocturnal call it's cozy.
    Fly swatters (several: we hang them from the posts so we don't have to search).
    Cooler... we have a little propane fridge, and it's awesome. French press coffee pot.
    Little propane stove, kettle, tea- making equipment. Sweetened condensed milk for tea and coffee.
    We bought kayaks at an end- of- season sale from a rental place: they're fabulous.
    Life jackets! (required. We don't let ANYONE in the river without one.) Water shoes and spares for our buddies.
    Oh, so many things.
    Sherrie, are you going to make that banging wall you talked about??

    ReplyDelete
  6. an exouthouse user I highly recommend a bag of lime and a scoop for covering. also a mouse proof/waterproof system for storage of paper, we used and old milk crate. it is very refreshing in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO happy for you - congratulations! Wow, is this place ever going to be beautiful. Where exactly is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally found it online - SO perfect!

      Delete
  9. So wonderful Sherrie! I can just imagine the lake and woods and all of the smells... Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! We look forward to visiting when you are all settled in!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best news EVER! It looks like perfection, Sherrie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, congratualtions! I'm so happy your finally got your dream house, Sherrie! You've waited long enough for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!