11.04.2012

pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

I was genuinely surprised when I used the search bar on my blog (it's right up there on the top left of your screen, if you're reading this directly and not through a blog reader) to find this recipe to link to, and I found that I have never posted it! So now's the time. I've been making these for years, and they are right up there with Snickerdoodles on my 'favourite cookies' list.

These are soft, perfect cookies. My Mom used to send squash and chocolate chip cookies to school with me, and they're very similar. They're not super sweet, despite both the amount of sugar and the chocolate chips. Oh, and you'll probably have to restrain yourself - they're the kind of cookies that you can eat 6 of, easily.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour (you can do half and half with whole wheat, if you're feeling virtuous)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix pumpkin, sugar, melted butter, and egg. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in another bowl, then add to wet ingredients. When it's beautiful and uniform, fold in chocolate chips.

Plop by the spoonful onto greased baking sheets (or not, if you're lazy - they usually come off just fine). The length of time in the oven will depend on the size of the cookie - I like generous ones, and they take about 14-15 minutes. You know they're done when they're light brown, and firm-ish when you press the middle.

Bonus: your house will smell AMAZING! These freeze well, too - I usually freeze them baked, then they can thaw in a snack bag or lunch box. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge pumpkin fan, but I think I might like these due to the chocolate chips. ;) Hubby would probably like it since it's little bit like a spice cookie.

    You know what I love though: your mixing bowls! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! The cookies don't really taste super pumpkin-y; they're more spicy and just soft and delicious. Mmmmmm. The mixing bowls were a sweet gift from my mother-in-law; I broke the third, smaller one. :(

      Delete
    2. Your MIL has great taste in dishes! Bummer about the broken third bowl. Maybe you can drop hints about a replacement for Christmas? ;)

      Delete
  2. Basically, you've put fall into a cookie.

    Well done.

    (Also, I think I might have to make some this weekend...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you should! They're awesome. (much like your jelly roll! A thing of beauty.)

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherrie...i've been following your blog for sometime now and love it...especially your pics...i've finally decided to come out of my silent reading to ask a question :)..can i puree fresh pumpkin and use in this recipe instead of canned pumpkin..mainly because there is one pumpkin hiding in the depths of my fridge for more than a week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariam! I'm so glad you came out of the shadows to comment! :) you should be able to use 'real' pumpkin, no problem. The main thing would be that it have the same amount of moisture in it as the canned stuff... I'm guessing that someone, somewhere must have written something online about cooking your own pumpkin to use in baking. Good luck! I hope it works well. :)

      Delete
    2. Katie P.11/08/2012

      When we carved our pumpkin I chucked out the stringy bits (roasted the seeds) and stewed the scooped out pumpkin on the stove. Just until soft. THen I pureed it with a hand blender. It comes out great!! Same consistency as canned pumpkin. Some people say you should only eat a pie pumpkin. A carving pumpkin is just as edible in my opinion!

      Delete
  4. What a yummy recipe, it's like eating autumn time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're pretty delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!