8.21.2012

august 21



We've been having a difficult time with an uncooperative boy lately. (As in: punching / kicking his brother for no apparent reason, being generally uncooperative and disagreeable, etc.) In between, he's lovely and back to his wonderful self, but of course I'm wondering what on earth I've done wrong. I will say that my reactions aren't always the most calm and measured, especially lately, and he knows just which buttons to push. It is completely exhausting, this parenting thing. There. Just wanted to get that out there. (There's also a summer cold in our house right now which may or may not be a contributing factor. Ick.)

He decorated the wrapping paper on a birthday gift for his friend on the weekend. He asked "What's her favourite colour?" as he was working, so he would know what colour she would most like the balloon to be. So cute.

7 comments:

  1. you know, having worked with lots of preschoolers over the past seven years, i gotta say that this is pretty common and usually passes :) (actually, it can happen to the most bright little kids- they feel things so strongly you know?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. (although, i can't even imagine how exhausting it must be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! As much as I know it's a phase, it's hard to really, truly believe that when you're in the middle of it, do you know what I mean? But I do know it. I do. It's only a phase. (Just reassuring myself.) :)

      Delete
  3. There must be something in the air now that it's the end of summer...my two boys are at war too. They were so sweet together in June and July but the past two weeks have been a struggle.

    Hang in there, this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Kendra! It's always nice to hear that it happens in other people's houses, too. :)

      Delete
  4. I second the preschooler assessment (plus the illness doesn't help). I vaguely remember a hitting phase when my kids were that age....apparently it wasn't bad enough for me to remember it with horror, luckily. Preschoolers get frustrated with a lot of things and it's hard for them to express themselves.

    You probably don't want to hear this, but it comes around again when they're teens...argh! ;}

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa, for the reassurance and the warning - that's what all of the parents of teens have said to me! Eeeeeeeeeep!

      Today was much better, but that may have been because they were at my Mom & Dad's for the day and I went Frenchy's back-to-school shopping with a friend. That makes everything brighter. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!