4.29.2012

april 29

I'm on the hanging planter bandwagon. I bought this little pottery planter ages ago at Frenchy's, and used it on and off for awhile. It's been out of circulation for a few years now and was tucked away in the shed, but I'm happy to report that it's now fulfilling its purpose. I found some savory at the market yesterday and now it hangs next to the kitchen sink.

I've spent much of today out in the yard, raking and tidying and bagging up winter debris. With some 'help' from Phillip this afternoon, we planted onions, carrots (touchon  - anyone have any reviews on them?), radishes, lettuce, dill, and peas. Plenty of peas, and the seeds are from one of my favourite vendors at the market. The lawn was mowed for the first time of the year, and things are looking good.

Full disclosure - I've had a headache for at least three weeks. Ibuprofen helps, but I don't like relying on it to get the through the day. Which I have been. Ick. I've taken four or five so far today. Not cool. I have a massage booked for tomorrow (I go every month or so to help keep the headaches at bay) which usually helps, and I'm going to do some resting this evening with some heat on my shoulders.

I've also kind of fizzled out of the April Photo-a-day, and I'm okay with that. It's just not my thing. Maybe I don't like being told what to do.

It was Adam's birthday yesterday - happy birthday, love! The cake was delicious. By request, I made Adam's mom's recipe, which was suuuuper easy and delicious, and I had everything in the pantry. I chose Movita's frosting to go on it, and it was good.  Anyone want the Mother-in-law's cake recipe?

I hope that you've had a lovely weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about the headache :( rest and stay hydrated. I'm a collector of recipes so I'd love if you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love the cake recipe. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday to Adam! :) I wish you didn't have that headache to deal with; hope you can get to the root of the problem and get rid of it soon.

    I'm totally with you on the "I don't like being told what to do" thing. It's why I will always resist joining book clubs.

    I love that planter (need to have the kids make something like that at ceramics) and I would love to have your MIL's cake recipe!

    I've never heard of Touchon carrots, but hope it does well for you. It's a bit wet here for planting, but we'll need to get the tomatillo seedlings into the ground soon as they're leggy and *gasp* flowering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! You're quick!

    Amanda, I think your prescription is just what I need. And I just posted the recipe, so you can add it to your collection.

    Teresa, I think I know where Phillip gets his defiant streak. Your kids should definitely make some planters! My fingers are crossed for the garden; I think it will probably do its thing and be fine. We just grow a little for fun and get most of our food from the market. Peas, though - they're non-negotiable. And I don't think any made it into the house last year - we ate them all while we were still outside. I say 'we', but I really mean me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That planter is lovely! I'm sorry you've been having such bad headaches. I get headaches quite often...too much work, weather changes...pretty much everything results in headaches for me. Unfortunately I can't give any great tips...rest and aspirin is what works for me.
    I hope you're feeling better already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!