4.17.2010

nana's biscuits





I don't think I've shared this recipe here before, and it's a good one. It's Adam's Nana's basic biscuit recipe, which I made some changes to a couple of days ago. At Adam's request, they ended up as cheddar and chive biscuits, using chives straight from the garden. They make a perfect toasted bread for a breakfast egg sandwich, which we enjoyed yesterday. Holy yum.

Just follow biscuit protocol, and they should turn out beautifully, unlike mine which are admittedly not the fluffiest this time around. I changed several things: I used powdered milk, which I've been using for baking lately. It works well in everything I've tried so far, and it's a lot less expensive than fresh. I also added the cheddar and chives, and used butter in place of shortening. And I overmixed it. So perhaps yours will be perfect.

The recipe pictured is part of a book of recipes that Nana (who is now ninety four) put together ten years ago. She gave one to each of her grandchildren for Christmas. I couldn't be happier to have it in my cupboard.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My grandma did this for me as well, when Jai and I got married. It's one of my favourite possessions now. I've been wondering what to do with all those chives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biscuits and yours look so delicious. I have an abundance of chives; I put some in the scramble eggs this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!