1.26.2010

simplest, most effective grease stain remover, ever

Because I make soap, I use lots of oils. Lots of many different types of oils. And because I don't like to slow progress in order to do something as boring as change my shirt, I often have little grease spots on the sleeves, shoulders, or sides of the shirts I'm wearing while soaping (I do wear an apron!) For awhile, I tried a few different things; Lestoil, as recommended by my mother, definitely works, but it is toxic, horribly smelly stuff, and I would have to wash items three or four times before the smell was out of the clothes. Not to mention that I much prefer natural solutions, and who wants to use stuff that smells like that? I tried all of the regulars - baking soda, natural stain removers, OxiClean Baby (which works veeeery well on food and protein-based stains, has no scent, and is recommended by Annie Bond who knows everything about green cleaning) but nothing completely got rid of the grease spots. Until I came across the simplest tip - a regular (i.e. petroleum-based) dishwashing liquid. What we use on dishes is Down East made here in Nova Scotia (it's only available at Sobeys here in Yarmouth here in Yarmouth, it's only available at Sobeys), which I adore, but because it's not petroleum-based, it didn't seem to do the trick on the oil spots. So I bought the most 'regular' brand I recognized - Palmolive (although I'm sure cheap store brands would work, too - maybe even better!) Problem solved. Every grease stain I've treated (even old ones) has been gone after one wash. Just a little squirt before tossing it in the washer, and it's done!

Happy laundering!

8 comments:

  1. Shanks Sherrie for the tip..i ruined many shirts with oil spots from making soap..Sobeys here I come..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that tip Sherrie. I did'nt know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem - I'm glad to help!

    Ruby - it's NOT the Down East that works, but cheap 'regular' dish soap (not most natural brands, because most of them are not petroleum based, which for once, is what you're looking for!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/26/2010

    I don't usually like to use petroleum based stuff, but if it really works that well on grease, I need to have a bottle in the house because dh and I never remember to wear aprons. ;) Thanks for the tip!

    I have Annie Bond's Better Basics for the Home book and love her recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC to know (said one regular clothes wearing soapmaker to another...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother also swears by Lestoil, and I agree with you its stinky stuff. I'm going to add Palmolive Oxy to the grocery list. Thanks for sharing. ~monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I'm so glad I can be helpful! I'm with you on petroleum-based things, Teresa - this is one of the only times I would recommend it, and that's after I tried everything else! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!