10.21.2007

cosmetics database update

Awhile back, I posted about the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep cosmetics database:

"Skin Deep: I've been telling lots of people about Skin Deep, a fabulous resource from the Environmental Working Group for finding out about the health and beauty products you use. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just give you a great resource for information. The ingredients in these types of products aren't regulated, and there are some nasty things in many products. There are also better alternatives! You can search for information on specific products you use (there are over 25000 on the database), and browse products if you're looking for a low hazard item. Items are rated on a scale of 1-10, and when you click on an item, you can read the explanation for the rating. Definitely worth spending some time perusing! My goal is to have all products I use rated 5 or under."

I just discovered a feature which is really handy - you can enter any product's information into the database, and it will give you a report on that particular product immediately. I couldn't find SpectroJel face cleanser listed, so I tried entering the info. I'm happy to report that it's a 3. Results aren't added to the database, but your report is saved for you (I think you need to sign in in order to use this feature, and you can return to the report). As for my goal to have all products I use as a 5 or under? All but two jars of Avon moisturizer (day & night) which are both high hazard (I think they're both 10). I've started using The Body Shop's Aloe moisturizers, which are 1's, and am alternating those with the others until the Avon stuff is used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!