2.16.2007

mean, green, cleaning machine!

As I was boiling the bathroom and house today, (Adam made it from the bathroom floor to the bed and he's been resting there all day) I thought I would post about the natural cleaners I use and am happy with. I don't use all of these every time I clean; I often stick to just baking soda and vinegar. Most commercial cleaners I use are Nature Clean brand. That's because they are some of the lowest cost natural cleaners, they don't use any more ingredients than needed, they're a Canadian company, and they work! (And they're not paying me!) They also have a wide array of products which are difficult to find in an environmentally friendlier form, such as drain cleaner and bleach. I get them at the local health food store, Yarmouth Natural, or at the Superstore. Picture #1 is my bathroom arsenal, which is usually stored in a clementine crate under the bathroom sink. Left to right, back to front:
- 5% peroxide bleach (it's Nature Clean brand, decanted into a spray bottle)
- Kitchen and Bathroom Spray Cleaner (I use on counters, sinks, for spot-cleaning spills, etc.)
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Drain Cleaner (enzyme type)
- Household Disinfectant (Thyme oil base - this was a new addition today. You mist it on lightly and leave it there, no need to rinse or wipe off. It smells like thyme, and many surfaces in our house were well doused today)
- Tub & Tile Cream Cleanser (I usually use baking soda and vinegar in the tub, but this smells like almond extract (yum!) and it works very well)
- baking soda in a shaker I found at Frenchy's (I like the President's Choice Green baking soda because it doesn't seem to clump like some other kinds, which means that it shakes easily from my handy dandy shaker)
- vinegar decanted into a spray bottle, perfect for misting over sprinkled baking soda for some fun fizz!

This is the dish liquid I love. Made by Down East (Dartmouth, NS - couldn't find a web site) it has no scent, lathers up beautifully and does a great job on the dishes.

And laundry - my favourite! The funny looking blue thing is one of two dryer balls Adam picked up yesterday. We have been using Natura Dryer Cloths from Home Hardware for a long time, and they're finally starting to wear out. I saw these dryer balls advertised at Zellers, and thought that they looked like they were worth trying out. I used them today, and at first, I thought I was going to have to throw them to the neighbour's dog. The noise! Oh, the noise noise noise noise noise! But as the dryer warmed up the balls, they got softer and made much less noise. And clothes and towels seem nice and fluffy and static-free, so I'm a happy camper. There are two balls in a package which bounce around in the dryer with your clothes. No chemicals, no waste. I like it! And my favourite laundry detergent is also made by Down East. It sits with the clothespins on the shelf above our washer. The giant bottle, which washes 64 loads, costs about 12.00, if I remember correctly. It rinses out well, is safe for baby clothes and sensitive skin, has no scent, and doesn't fade dark colours. Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!