1.27.2006

East of Eden

I was sitting on the couch with the cat purring at my shoulder and occasionally twitching his whiskers in his sleep as I continued reading in John Steinbeck's East of Eden just now. I haven't finished the book yet, but am so overwhelmed by the magnitude of it and a sense of not having all the knowledge to be able to understand it or wrap my mind around it that I had to write something. There are only a few things that have given me the same sense of going beyond the temporal (these are the ones that sort of fit in this group):

- Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels) by the Arcade Fire
- (possibly)) Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars, (click on 'Set Yourself on Fire' and 'Your Ex-lover is Dead'). I actually thought I was sick of the song after only hearing part of it several times. And that was only this afternoon. It's been in my thoughts ever since.
- Douglas Coupland - Girlfriend in a Coma and Generation X in particular
- New Year's Eve 2006
- Instances where Ernest Buckler and/or John Steinbeck capture something so exactly that it makes you draw your breath sharply and read it over and over and wonder how it was possible to put that in those particular and perfect words.

I think what makes these things so... big, is that they encompass so much of what it is to be human and to love and suffer and wonder about life and death and it's expressed beautifully and, well, perfectly. Perhaps a sense of knowing that I'll probably never be able to express things in such a clear, concise, and exact way is what makes them so... big. These things give me the sense that everything fits together in the grand scheme and for that brief moment it almost makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments - I read and appreciate each one! Sorry about the word verification - the spammers found me and it became necessary. Thanks for taking the time to comment!